Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Our Dear Friend Clara

I lost a friend today. She told me this summer that she had breast cancer. She lost her battle very quickly. Clara told me a few weeks ago that she would not get a chance to meet Lucy and I just lost it. The tears would not stop falling no matter what I tried to do. Her and her husband, Buddy were married 64 years this past November. They were married on the 7th and our anniversary was on the 8th. We had that in common.

We were instant friends when we met about a year ago and we had a connection rather like a grandmother, granddaughter relationship. She told us she loved us and we certainly grew to love her too.

We often visited them on Saturday mornings and talked about life, the weather and the Bible. We did not share the same religion but despite this our conversations were so upbuilding and encouraging. She appreciated spiritual things. This brings me comfort because I know the truth we shared with her did not fall on deaf ears. It truly touched her, I could see that in her eyes when we were with her.

The eyes reveal so much about a person and sad to say the last few times we saw her I knew that life had left her eyes. I saw that look before on my grandpa and sometimes that image still pops into my head and makes me very sad.

Her funeral is Friday and it will be tough to see Buddy. I hope we can continue to visit with him. I have no idea what to say to him because I cannot imagine what he must feel without her by his side. I look so forward to the day that "death will be no more" and we will only cry tears of joy not sadness. Everyones eyes will be full of life. The image of lifeless eyes will be forgotten.

1 comment:

lucy'scousin said...

I'm sorry ton and john. I know buddy will be really glad to see you on Friday.