Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Lucy the beautiful

So we made it back alive from the store. Lucy is such a good girl. With all the comotion and HOT air and cab ride and horns honking she was just humming and kicking her feet, She really likes to have one thing in eachhand. She really likes the little rubber duck and stacking cup. Yesterday we realized about an hour after breakfast that she was still holding a piece of watermelon,

Every monrning I count the days until we come home and somehow I always count eight days. it is like groundhogs day or something. The air here is weird, you just sweat. Even if you are in the air conditioned you have a nice glaze,. The smog was really bad yesterday, no blue sky - we have not seen any in this town.

My peeps at work will need to remind me of this blog the next time someone makes "tuna" coffee and snap peas because the smells are very strong and fishy and strange, it is throwing my sniffer into overdrive.

John and Lucy are sleeping. She is in her crib-yea! So she does this thing that she thinks is hilarious. She smacks me in the face, and then laughs. Our guide Yisha was in the room withus yesterday when she did it and spoke stearnly in Chinese- basically "don't hit mommy". She looked at her all serious and then smacked me like three more times. We tried so hard not to laugh. She also kind of swats her hand like she is faking you out, she thinks that is funny too. Whenever she looks in the mirror she swats at herself and laughs. We know when she meets her cousins that they may get a swat.

Today we are going on a day trip of some sort of temple and some other place. they are famous butI can not remember the names. It is the birth place of kung fu. We were not sure if we would go because tomorrow we are having another 3 hour bus ride to Lucy's orphange., We have not paid the donation fee to them yet. 24,000 rmb's. this translates into 3500 USD and they will expect this tomorrow.

I told john we needed to bring the potty(it has little handles and a roll ball- something to pass the time?) and he said that we can't and that we will do what the chinese do with their kids and have her squat outside. somehow I can picture just being peed all over again.

It is 5 am now and we leave at 8. it will be a long day but hopefully fun to see something different. i hope john can post some new pics soon.
Thoughts about Lucy:
She is such a good girl. As soon after she eats something her little hand shoots outstretched at us for more.
She gets easily scared and her little body will shake. Like if you go to lift her up in the air her hands start moving and her tounge does too and she just hugs on so tight when you bring her back down.
She loves to practice walking, she will have a smile from ear to ear. she is a ways off from having the muscle strength, her legs and arms are so skinny and sort of floppy.
She teases johnmark. she will go to hand him the duck and when he goes to get it she pulls it right back and smiles.
We love feeding her, She does not like cold things at all. she would not have been used to cold food in the orphanage. We gave her a taste of ice cream and her face crinckled like we gave her pickles or a lemon,
We were at breakfast the other day and I literally watched a daddy fall in love with his little girl. It was the sweetest thing in the world. He was talking to her and feeding her and the look on his face was amazing, it makes me cry just remembering it. John has been so amazing with her and me because I have had moments of panic or like what did we do. He is so sensitive to her and just loves to have her sleep on him,
Her head sweats so much that I will be soaked when she lays on me,

Anyways, they have really good banana bread here at breakfast, I was thinking about buying a loaf for the orphange ladies but I am torn. sometimes I get sad about how she was cared for so I am not sure if they did the best they could have for her or they just did what they knew how to do. Yisha said her orphanage is full of many children and that could be a lot to handle with limited resources. maybe I will bring the bread.

Am I rambling? ok better go , hope to get those pics on here.

ton :)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post Tonya, i just love to hear about all the little things that Lucy does. It sounds like she is changing right in front of your eyes, getting use to laughing out loud for first time. She will be running with McCoy in no time. I hope your journey to the orphanage gives you what you need so you can close that part of Lucy's life and start her fresh. we are with you in thought and prayers for that.
We do need pictures, lots. still cant read this without lots of tissues.Keep feeding that little thing and we are counting down the days till we see all of you..hugs and kisses, cathy, mccoy, and rich.

lucy'scousin said...

I just love this post too! I want to know everything about little lucy! Pea's favorite game right now is to tease me by handing me something and then snatch it back and scream "siiiiyyyykkkeee!" She thinks she's so funny too! Make sure you are doing the "more" sign with lucy when she wants more food! I know that is sad to think about the care she got at the orphanage but it will only be easier on yourself if you believe that they did the very best they could. Miss you...only 8 more days!;) hahaha...I'm so funny too. wake john up...must have more pics! Love you!

steviestephandmialarue said...

It's awesome to hear about all the things Lucy does! I know another little girl (yellow hair, spells her name M I A ) who likes to pat people on the head and laugh hysterically....maybe they can play that one together. When I read the part you wrote about John, Mia said " that's because Daddy's always take care of their best girls!" Give Lucy kisses for us please...Stevie Steph and the Beana

Anonymous said...

oh i can't wait to be in a room with cathy tonya jackie the girl i can never remember the name that has curly hair and a baby now and joni. im getting stock in kleenex NOW!
stone - sharon stone

Anonymous said...

This was the best blog. Knowing more about her makes her more irresistible than ever. I can not wait to see her. I know that we don't want to overwhelm her when you first get home, but what else are we to do?:) She is irresistible!!!!
It is good to hear how John has grown into a wonderful father. It is hard for me to picture that because he was such a "great" big brother. I'm glad you both made this decision to get Lucy. It has changed all our lives for the best. Be safe and come home soon.
Oh, and if you think it feels like ground hog day now, wait til you come home and and it was your yesterday.
love, Lydia

Anonymous said...

I knew you two were going to be the best new parents. Reading what you guys write is so heartwarming (wrenching). Didn't think I would tear up just reading about our newest member of the clan. She sounds so adorable and we can't wait to show her what she's been missing. We love you all and keep sending us stuff! Talk to ya soon.
Love Joe, Julie, Joey & Matt(&molly)

Anonymous said...

I just got back from a couple of days in NY and I thought, I wonder how things are in China(besides the Olympics) so I got on to Lucy's journey and am SO HAPPY!! She seems to be in love with her Mommy and Daddy and I can't wait to meet her! she is absolutley adorable!

Regina

Anonymous said...

Tonya and JohnMark,

Your both doing a great job with Lucy. She is beautiful bundle of joy!

You blog is great to read. It really let's everyone be a part of everything that is happening with your new family.

We're all thinking of you everyday. It is hard to beleive it has finally all come true for you.

Congratulations!!!!

Veronica

Anonymous said...

She sounds like such a cutie, I can't wait to see her. I just have to say....HA! You got peed on!
Love ya guys,
Jason P

Anonymous said...

Hey John, Tan, & Lucy, I love this post, its so deeply personal and a glimpse into the private moments of your family, one filled with love . . . and a little panic, which is totally normal. Every parent goes thru that feeling because once you cross that line, you can't go back. Trust me, that will pass when your hearts & home continue to fill with love for Lucy. Having a child makes you truly realize what real love is and before long you will wonder how you ever got along without her and even knew what love meant before she came into your life. You'll both fall in love all over again, with each other and with your new baby girl. Counting the days till your home,

Maria

Anonymous said...

Hi tonya, john and little lucy, it is 1 pm on Thursday which means that it is 1am Friday and only 6 days till you head home!!!! Yeah Yeah Yeah. Took McCoy to the playground this morning and thought of how much fun he will have with Lucy at the playground. Yes, almost started the water works....hurry home. Lots of love, Aunt Cathy....p.s.need pics!!Maybe Youtube video????

Anonymous said...

Love the updates! I feel like I'm there, except I'm not sweating. You know that feeling that spooked you and you wondered what you just did? Totally normal, and you'll find out very quickly exactly how becoming a parent is the best job you will ever have. Oh just wait! It only gets better, and is never, ever, predictable. Tori says she can't wait to meet Lucy as soon as she's ready. And MORE PICS!!!!
Kristen

Anonymous said...

Hi Tonya, JohnMark & Lucy! I love this post! I'm at my desk crying. Your descrptions of Lucy are so sweet. I can't wait to meet her.
Diane

Anonymous said...

We miss you gets so much and I miss hearing from you guys. I hope that you can read our messages and get encouragement from them. We are always thinking of you and praying for you.
Love Lydia

Anonymous said...

Where have you been all my life???? Did you go back to "Walmart" and get swallowed up? We need our fix of Lucy fact and know you guys are o.k. I think you are traveling today (Saturday) and hope everything goes smooth and lucy handles the flight well. We miss you terribly and want to see your faces soon, so please send pics. cathy